Community Access and Services SA (CAaSSA) is hosting the Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) in which we recruit and arrange volunteers to visit Culturally and Linguistically Diverse older people reside in Residential Aged Care facilities to provide friendship and companionship. We recruit and match the language of residents and volunteers to offer culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
The CVS is a free service available for people who:
- are socially isolated or at risk of being socially isolated, including if they belong to a special needs group or individually
- do not have regular or frequent positive and engaged contact with friends or relatives
- feel isolated and lonely
- have frailty, mobility or communication impairment that prevents them from participating in social or leisure opportunities
Aims and intended outcomes for participants
The CVS aims to improve quality of life for the aged care recipients participating in the scheme, shown by:
- general feeling of wellbeing;
- increased sense of belonging;
- reduced feelings of loneliness and isolation;
- increased sense of connectedness to the care recipient’s individual culture and identity;
- increased connectedness to the community
Who can access this service?
Older people in residential aged care facilities within the Western and Northern areas of Adelaide